April 12, 2014

DIY LIP SCRUB


Lets own up to it... We all know that feeling, when you enter your local 'Lush' shop, and see their Lip Scrubs staring you in the face. They look gorgeous, smell yummy, and are compact enough to throw in a travel bag... so what's the problem? Well, personally, I find them slightly overpriced. On the grand scheme of things, £5.50 isn't a lot, but considering you can make it yourself at home, using ingredients you can find in your kitchen, I think it's a bit of a waste of money!

So before diving straight into the DIY, I'm guessing some of you will want to know what a 'lip scrub' actually is. Well, as the name suggests, it is a scrub for your lips... It helps exfoliate by removing all dead cells on the surface of your lips, and causes a temporary 'plumping effect' as it increases the blood flow in the lips, making them appear more red and plump. That's enough waiting around, lets jump straight into the tutorial...

It will work best if you use:
Caster sugar (but I didn't have that, so I used a regular/ brown sugar)
Olive oil
Honey (optional)
Food colouring or an old lipstick/ balm (optional)
Flavouring (optional)
A small container

1.
Firstly, add about 1 and a half tablespoons of sugar, and put it into a bowl. (I added it straight into my tub, but this meant that the process was made a lot more time consuming and it was difficult to accomplish the final product). This ingredient is vital as it's what causes the dead cells to be removed, and causes the increase in blood flow.


2.
You then add around half a tablespoon of olive oil. Although oil seems like an unlikely product to use on yourself, it's a very popular, beneficial and natural ingredient in lip, hair, nail and even skin products. This is also a very important part of the process, as it will moisturise and hydrate your lips, and prevent them from drying out.

3.
If you would like, you can do the additional step of adding honey to the mixture. I personally prefer my lip scrub without this ingredient, but some people add it to add 'gloopiness' and to help stick the mixture together.


4.
Go ahead and give the ingredients a good mix, allowing your scrub to have the perfect consistency. You should now have the perfect amount of mixture, but add more or less of any given ingredient if needed.



5.
To finish off the product, you can add any of the 'enhancement features' like colouring and flavouring. I'd like to recommend not adding any flavouring, as the mixture will already be very sweet and sugary from the sugar (and honey). With regards to the colouring, I would have melted the lipstick/ balm first so that it was in a liquid form, (or leave it how it is if it's already a liquid food colouring) and go ahead and add that to the mixture. Mix, mix, mix, put it into your small container/ tub, and BAM, you have your very own lip scrub.. trust me, it works wonders!


I'm personally a big fan of this DIY project and I know it's very popular. Let me know if you have already made one (or will be), as I'd love to see your re/creations. Who needs to dish out the dosh when you can have a bash at it yourself?

Well, that's it for this post! I am honestly super sorry that I haven't posted in ages. I'm very busy at the moment, and am finding it difficult to find spare time to blog... Anyway, I hope you have enjoyed this post, and I'll see you all very soon!


23 comments:

  1. I never thought to DIY it before but why pay for it when you can make it with things in the cupboard? I will definitely be trying this, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great DIY, I used to make my own lip balm and have missed creating DIY beauty products that are a fraction of those sold in shops!

    Anita @ AllThingsAnita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh this looks so good! I have been wanting to make my own scrub for ages and this sounds like it will be perfect, def have to try it! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never made my own lip scrub before but I really want to have a go at this one! Great post :D

    Louise x

    Confessions of a Secret Shopper | An Undomestic Goddess

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was in Lush yesterday and saw their lip scrub sitting on the counter next to the till and it was so tempting but I certainly agree... overpriced! Now I'm glad I didn't dip into my purse, great post! Shall definitely be trying it out :D

    olivialucyyy.blogspot.co.uk
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's a great idea to make your own lip scrub. I have one from lush and it's lasting me ages since I got it lady year so that's the great thing about them, sugar will last SO long. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks yummy and so pretty in your pictures! I don't store mine I just make a small amount as needed.
    Laurie themakeupsquid.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, need to do this as i dont live near a lush.

    Check out my blog?
    Chloe // throughchloeslens.blogspot.co.uk :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great post! Loved it!
    ItsTheBlueBow x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love using lip scrubs (especially Lush Popcorn!) but have never thought to make my own. It is an interesting idea though, and so simple really! x

    Amber
    littlethingssheloves.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was just looking at the lip scrubs at Lush and thought I would try to make my own! This sounds great!

    I'm a new follower :)

    Christina
    http://kissesandflowers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a good idea, I can see how this would have been easier in a bigger cup at first, but the end result is what counts :)
    Tanja Mortensen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this! Nothing like a good lip scrub, never made one though. Pretty simple though. Danielle xx

    missdanielle.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loove this!! It's so important to have smooth lips for so many different lip colors. Great post!! Looking forward to future blogs! xo kelly

    http://beautyhuddle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow definitely going to make one of these!

    http://whatsuesees.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm inspired! Thank you! I am definitely going to try this!

    ashajeanstenzel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the idea of making my own lip scrub (: Will definitely be trying this, it looks lovely (: xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I made my first lip balm when I was in around 12 after reading from a book. I took a dab of vaseline and mixed with lipstick. Haha, well it was kind of good. When it comes to lip scrub, I usually just use my toothbrush and a pinch of sugar and rub on my lips. But this seems like an even better idea. I think I'll definitely make this. Thank you amazing DIY. <3
    Love, Somdyuti
    www.stilettosandtequila.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm definitely going to be trying this! I love the lush ones but you're right they are a bit steep in price! xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. ooo this looks so good! and so much cheaper than the one's from Lush! x
    http://rachelcoco.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  21. I recently recieved a lip scrub from lip monthly and loved it! I tried to find the same one or one similar but after looking everywhere and finally finding some similar ones on Amazon I decided they were all still too expensive, so thank you so much for this post! It was really helpful and I will DEFFINATELY be trying this! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Adding this to my list of DIY beauty projects to try xx

    ReplyDelete